Liquiphonics is creating a top end HiFi for a reasonable purchase cost.
When a HiFi is designed for top end reproduction, the cost rises dramatically. This need not be the case; the laws governing how much is charged is largely influenced by advertising, perceived quality and the intended market.
- I won’t be spending lots of money on advertising campaigns,
- I won’t be charging more for using top end components other than the increase in the component cost,
- I only want to make a living, not be a millionaire.
I aim to achieve a purchase price for an entire system (integrated amplifier, speakers and cables) of no more than £2,500.
What will make the Liquiphonics HiFi special:
- Battery driven power supplies, backed up by high level PSUs,
- switched attenuators (not potentiometers) for volume control,
- silver plated OCC (Ohno Continuous Casting) copper wiring used throughout,
- silver plated input and output connectors, switch contacts and wiring,
- totally separate stereo channels with only the earth as common (mono-block),
- circuit topology using minimal component to component distance,
- minimal component count,
- dc coupling with no electrolytic capacitors in the signal chain,
- no metal unless absolutely necessary (MDF cabinetry),
- as close to total symmetry as possible,
- star earthing and star power supplying,
- E.J. Jordan full-range drivers used in speaker cabinets (no crossovers necessary),
- six years (so far) in the design stage (plus a lifetime of design experience).
I will concentrate on building a system that puts sound quality at the forefront of the design.
What counts most for me is crystal clear sound reproduction
and exact stereo imaging.
Plus there will be extra features that add some usefulness to the design:
- Both 3.5mm and 6.5mm headphone outputs so you don’t have to worry about connection size, they can be used at the same time so two can listen,
- a 3.5mm and a 6.5mm jack input so you can, for example, use the system as a guitar amp, they can be used at the same time so you can jam along to your iPod,
- a battery driven, power supply output so your DAC or dock are powered by the same clean power as the rest of the amp.
This blog is to show the progress of design and construction. If you are interested in any way at all in listening to very high quality sound reproduction, please follow my progress and please do spread the word.