Latest thoughts …

Well, I have had a good old think and have come to some conclusions. I guess the reason for the long time thinking is that I was getting frustrated at the design/build process taking so long. And then there is the cost – not having any spare finances (we are in a deep recession) meant I did not have the funds to take this forward either. Plus I have been working on this for a few years now and probably needed a break.

Having had a break I have realised that I need to cut down on expenses so all TLD names have gone with the exception of ‘liquiphonics.co.uk’. That does now mean I am getting the usual emails from inscrutable people asking for money because someone is trying to set up liquiphonics.net and they need to talk to me first… I did email (or try to) the Chinese embassy in the UK about this but apparently their in-box is too full to accept any new communications. In other words, they have set their in-box size to 1Kb because they don’t want to talk to anyone!

If someone takes that URL so be it, at least I no longer have to pay 1&1 for .net/.org/.com et al.

I have also realised that I need somewhere to build this system. That fact together with finding out that our small but useful barn down the end of the garden was far more rotten than I thought means I am now in the process of renovating that structure. At the moment, the floor is just hardcore and is waiting for a concrete slab to be put down on top of it. Then there will be the new frame, floor (for a workshop downstairs and an office above), lining inside and out, doors, wiring, insulation…

I have much to do and little resources but slowly, slowly catchy monkey.

Here is a picture of how the workshop is at the moment:

Showing both sides with my tools at the back:

Showing both sides.

Showing both sides.

The newer right hand side (from 1982):

The newer side.

The newer side.

The old cobblestone side which probably dates from the time the house was built in 1792. It has been pushed down by me using a tamper as there was a lot of collapse in some areas, as much as a few inches:

The old cobblestone side.

The old cobblestone side.

Another overview of both sides:

A different view of both sides.

A different view of both sides.

These cobblestones will be the hardcore layer for this side:

Old cobblestone side.

Old cobblestone side.

Showing where the cobbles had air beneath them. My foot is in there for size reference. The difference in height is a couple of inches:

Close up of collapsed floor.

Close up of collapsed floor.

The newer side which was simply bricks onto earth with some stones and rocks in. The big lumps of concrete came from the old side, I still need to smash them up so they form a nice flat layer. You can see “PETER CATHERINE 1982” written into the cement by finger – we believe this is the previous owners’ children:

A concrete signature.

A concrete signature.

Next layer is about 1″ of sand to level it all off and then a sheet of damp-proof-membrane followed by 4″ to 6″ of reinforced concrete which I may polish or maybe paint.

Advertisements

About Matal

Hand made HiFi, photos, a friends poetry.
This entry was posted in Workshop / Office and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s